MS Dhoni Survives From Fire In Dwarka, Vijay Hazare Trophy Semi-final Postponed

Former Indian skipper Mahindra Singh Dhoni survived on Friday from the fire. The fire broke out in Dwarka’s Welcome Hotel were all the players from Jharkhand state cricket teammates stay for playing their semi-final match against Bengal.

According to the reports, the fire broke out at 6 am Friday morning shortly before MS Dhoni and his team Jharkhand was supposed to leave for playing Vijay Hazare Trophy match against Bengal at Palam Ground. All players are safe from fire.

The team Jharkhand is currently in the Capital have they reached the semi-finals. The match supposed to play on Friday; however, it has been postponed to Saturday.

According to DCP Surender Kumar, he said that the blaze has started at a Reliance store on the first floor of the hotel. Dhoni was on the ninth floor whereas other teammates were staying on three floors from seventh to ninth.


Jharkhand batsman Ishank Jaggi said to ESPNcricinfo, “We were to assemble in the lobby at 7:30 am as we usually do before a game, but at 7, I was asked to stay back in the room by Pratyush Singh as there was lot of fire and smoke at the ground floor lobby.”

“It spread quite quickly and when we finally got out of our seventh-floor rooms, all we could see around us was smoke. It was so thick that we couldn’t even see the far end of the lobby.”

Talking about the situation as the fire alarm did not go off in time to the hotel; Jaggi added “What added to our concern was the fire alarm didn’t go off, so we assumed it to be a small fire accident. But when there was a strong burning smell, we were asked to vacate immediately.”

Also Read: India vs Australia, 3rd Test Day2: Maxwell Dismissed By Jadeja

“The seriousness of it struck us only when we got out. The smoke spread to our rooms as well. That is when we were asked to run down the stairs.”

Tapash Chatterjee, a member of BCCI, said: “The second semi-final of Paytm Vijay Hazare Trophy 2016-17 between Jharkhand and Bengal and the final have been rescheduled due to a fire accident which happened in the hotel where the teams were staying due to which the players were not in a position to play the match.”


“The BCCI confirms that all the players and match officials are unhurt and safe. The semi-final, which was to be held on Friday, March 17, 2017, at the Airforce Complex ground, Palam in New Delhi will now be held at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium on Saturday, March 18.”

“The final will now be played on Monday, March 20 instead of Sunday, March 19 at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in New Delhi. We could smell something burning in the room but that was not that strong.”

Also Read: 3rd Test, Day 1 Ranchi: Umesh Yadav Gets Clear of Peter Handscomb

“At around 7.30am, when I went in to bathe, all of a sudden there was a lot of smoke and I rushed out picked up valuables and got out of the room to see dense smoke in the corridor. You could barely see beyond 10 metres. There were no fire alarms,”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *